Thursday, June 14, 2012

Guu Original

This was my first time visiting Guu Original! Having been disappointed by the Guu in Denman recently, while having good experiences at Guu Gastown and Guu with Garlic, I was interested to see what Guu ORIGINAL had to offer :).

Even though it was a weekday night, it was still extremely busy at the restaurant, thankfully we made a reservation!

We got Last Samurai (tan-taka-tan (Japanese shiso herb vodka), sour plum, shiso), Snow White (soho, calpico, lemon), Aloha Mojito (sake, aloe vera, lime, mint).
The first item Grilled Chicken Wings was very disappointing! These were probably the worst chicken wings I've ever had! They were wayyyyyyyy tooooooo salty and I hate that bloody taste when it's not cooked enough.
Next item we got was the Tuna Tataki. It wasn't as good as the one I had at Hapa Umi ;), but it was till quite decent, I like it when more of the edge is cooked, rather than just the rim, but the tuna tasted fresh to me.
Next item we actually saw the table beside us get it, and we were interested! Sashimi Salad (assorted daily fresh sashimi on bed of green plum dressing and wasabi mayo) I had a few pieces of the different sashimi, and they were all pretty decent and fresh, I really wanted to try the prawn sashimi and sucking the head... but I let my friends have them haha
The next one was my favourite in the whole meal. Grilled Black Cod, I loved this one because the fish was so smooth! It literally dissolves in your mouth, and the taste was perfect, not too salty but still had a good taste to it. My friend complained about too much mayo though.
The BBQ Eel Rice Gratin, this one was cool because I love rice covered with cheese! and I love eel :) The eel itself was delicious and I loved the combination of the different materials. I liked all the stuff (seaweed, squid strips?) you see on top of dish as well
Chazuke is a simple Japanese dish made by pouring green tea, dashi, or hot water over cooked rice roughly in the same proportion as milk over cereal, usually with savoury toppings. This specific one was topped with Salmon. This was definitely something new for me and it was sorta like eating congee but not really lol. I don't know, it's sorta like soup, interesting.
All in all, a LOUD place with lots of SCREAMING staff haha, not good for having a conversation with friends (especially new ones!!) because you always have to yell! I still prefer the Guu Gastown before it's better to chat with friends there and I prefer the bigger dishes there :D !

But I still had a great time.
Guu Original on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment