Sunday, May 13, 2012

City 1 Cafe

This is the second time I have been to this new small restaurant inside the strip mall at Oak and King Edward. They are famous for their Famous Boneless Hainanese Chicken. The restaurant appears to be family run and the employees there are attentive and friendly. The inside design is clean, comfortable, and spacious.

We had the Curry Beef Brisket with Roti Prata Bread. Switching to the prata bread from rice requires an extra $1, the curry goes excellent with rice as well.

I loved the butter taste of the roti prata (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roti_prata). It was warm and chewy :D. The curry was spicy! I mixed it with the rice that came with the Hainanese Chicken as well as the roti prata, delicious! I wished the potato was softer though. The beef brisket was soft and fresh.
We also ordered a Char Kuey Teow (Fried Flat Noodles). This one was again spicy, so don't order it if you can't handle spicy. The shrimps were fresh. The noodles did not stick to each other and the taste was just right, not too salty. Good mix of noodles with other ingredients.

Now for the Famous Boneless Hainanese Chicken.


The chicken was very smooth and tender. I decided to not get the traditional oil rice because I wanted to be healthy... In the last picture, you can see the gelatin layer of the chicken between the skin and the meat; I was watching a documentary on Singapore recently and apparently that gelatin layer is very important for the traditional Hainanese Chicken! Looks like City 1 got it right. The chicken comes with two dips, I love the ginger-garlic sauce and I could eat a whole bowl of rice with just that...

A great place for traditional Singaporean & Malaysian Cuisine.

City 1 Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment